A Morsel Of Code

One byte at a time

Setting up IMAP settings for hotmail account on Iphone and android

Yes, there are still a few lost soul who still have a Hotmail account  and I am one of them :-).

I have used Iphone in the past and use an android phone now, however I always complained that I was not able to set up an IMAP account for Hotmail. I always had a POP3 account :-(

What does IMAP and POP3 mean? – For beginner who do not understand what is IMAP and POP3, here’s a small description.

a) POP3 – is a one way email checking. When you setup account on your iPhone, android or Microsoft outlook or any other email client and you download an email on your phone or on your desktop, it just downloads a copy of that email. So when you hit delete or read an email on your phone or desktop, it does not affect the email in the Hotmail account. Now most of us use Iphone o android phone these days to check emails. Now when you delete the email on phone, you still need to login on your Hotmail account to really delete email. As result when I login to Hotmail account after a month, there are hundreds of emails which I deleted on my phone and I have to go through each email to make sure that I do not delete an important email.

b) IMAP – is a two-way email checking. When you read or delete and email on phone or any other email client such as OUTLOOK, the email is updated in your account as well. For example if you delete an email on your phone, it will be deleted from your account as well.

So here’s a run down of the process.

IPHONE SETUP:

1. Go to Settings – Mail, Contact, Calendars
  2. Click on Add Account…
  3. Choose Microsoft Exchange
  4. Fill in the fields shown (Leave domain blank and your login should be your email address)
  5. Click next and it will ask for server. Use m.hotmail.com
  6. Choose if you want your email, contacts or calendar synced.http://www.sirslur.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/photo.png

ANDROID PHONE SETUP:

1. Open the Mail app.
2. Hit the menu button > Add account
3. Enter your hotmail e-mail address and password.
4. Press Manual setup (don’t press Next!)
5. For account, select Exchange.
6. On the Server settings page, clear out the DomainUsername field and enter your hotmail address.
7. Change the Server to m.hotmail.com (without the quotes).
8. Keep the checkboxes the way they are (Use secure connection enabled, but don’t accept all SSL certificates)
9. Press Next.
10. Once the server settings are confirmed, you’ll be asked for how far back you’d like to sync your e-mail, contacts and calendars.

Cheers!!!

30 comments for “Setting up IMAP settings for hotmail account on Iphone and android

1. Shelly
    December 1, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Hi, I’m really struggling to get my hotmail.co.uk mail account on my htc one m8 android. I tried to follow ur instructions but they don’t match my screens! Help!!

2. Tisca
    January 22, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Hi,

I have two queries

While using IMAP, does it download emails locally on my android phone or is it that we are simply using it to access the web emails.?
    Is there any app for accessing Hotmail emails from Android phone (without downloading emails on device locally) BUT allowing to attach local document from the phone?

Thanks,

• January 23, 2014 at 12:48 am

It downloads a copy of mail from the server. If you want to validate my statement do this… sync you email right at this moment. Now set your phone to Airplane mode. Open the mail now and you should be able to see the email and contents that were synced earlier…. that means the emails are downloaded on your machine. For second part…. there is offline gmail app but that is specific to desktop or macbook

• Tisca
        January 23, 2014 at 6:43 am

Thanks for your reply.
        If the emails are downloaded to the phone, that will continuously curb on to the storage space which is precisely I don’t want. Is there any alternative to prevent it and yet allows us to check emails?

• January 24, 2014 at 1:31 am

Actually no. What happens is at point of time only 15-20 mails stay on your phone and the rest are on demand.

3. Keith R.
    January 14, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Awesome! I almost dropped my good old Hotmail account because of their lack of IMAP support.

Thanks a lot for the great tip!

Keith R.

4. Matthew
    October 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Hello-

What if you are already using Microsoft Exchange for your work email. Can you still sync with a second account? This would be my Hotmail account. I did not have a problem with my iPhone 4, but I recently purchased the 5C and have had problems with deleting emails from my phone.

• October 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm

It will work. Just name it as someyhing like my hotmail account so that you can differentiate between exhange account and hotmail account

• Matthew
        October 16, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I have already done that, with no luck. Would it have anything to do with having my host name as pop3.live.com instead of a IMAP address? My outgoing mail server address is smtp.live.com.

• October 18, 2013 at 11:18 am

Yes, you shouldn’t use the pop3 server. That’s actually the point of this article.

5. February 12, 2013 at 8:25 am

Nice post. But this is not making use of the IMAP protocol. This makes use of the EAS (Exchange Active Sync) protocol, a MS protocol which is supported by most smartphones nowadays. That’s why you can sync your calendar and contacts as well (IMAP is for mail only). But e.g. Thunderbird supports IMAP and not EAS. That’s why this does not work with Thunderbird.

6. January 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Well this solution deletes your mail on the server. I dont have an exchange option on my phone.

• January 4, 2013 at 10:46 pm

If you don’t have an Exchange option, see if you have a “Corporate” option. That’s what it’s called on some Android devices. It’s exactly the same thing, and I really don’t know why Google decided to call it “Corporate” (probably to avoid using a Microsoft trademark).

7. abee
    November 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm

You address this perfectly. Help. This is still saying it can’t verify the account. Maddening.

8. abee
    November 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

You addresses this perfectly. Help. This is still saving it can’t verify the account. Maddedning.

9. HatTrick
    November 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Worked great. Droid Razr on Verizon. Now all Hotmail folders are available on the phone, including Sent. Use the phone’s Email App to set it up, then delete the hotmail app.

10. Toma
    October 17, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I did it.. but when I read an email on my hotmail (laptop) does not show as “read” on my iphone…
    Any solution??? I really don’t want to mark “as read”, 1000 e-mails on my iphone!!
    Thanks a lot!!!

• October 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm

You need to wait until the iphone syncs with your account.

11. Rik
    October 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Brill!! It works!
    Any ideas how to get it to work with Thunderbird too?

• October 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I have not tried it, but I promise to write a post if I find a solution.

• November 15, 2012 at 2:02 am

Thanks. Thunderbird is a email client, you can do that in the account settings.

• January 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Actually, you can’t do it in Thunderbird, because Thunderbird doesn’t support Exchange. It does support IMAP, but this isn’t actually IMAP.

12. Pav
    August 26, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thank you! it was very helpful!!

13. masterdeeno
    August 18, 2012 at 4:36 am

thank you! this is very helpful. i don’t need to download new apps.

14. August 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for this! Your method also works with new Outlook.com addresses, just keep the server as m.hotmail.com and its fine. I shared your post with The Independent’s post at http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/08/01/microsoft-kills-hotmail-and-introduces-outlook-com/ so I hope they approve the comment.

15. May 31, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Nice post. I study something tougher on completely different blogs everyday. It’s going to all the time be stimulating to learn content material from different writers and follow a bit something from their store. I’d favor to make use of some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a link in your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

16. May 31, 2012 at 2:08 am

Hey there, I just hopped over to your web-site thru StumbleUpon. Not somthing I might normally browse, but I enjoyed your thoughts none the less. Thank you for creating something worthy of browsing.

Drop a line or say Hi!